Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Boring might not be so bad!

Howdy from the Homeplace!!


Now where do we begin?  I guess we'll start with yesterday morning.  


Everything was moving along at a rather good clip.  The guys were outside getting the tent put back into its upright position.  Tents don't work very well laying down!  They had gotten the "adorable" woodstove pipe in place through the ceiling of the tent.  They were in the process of standing the walls back up and I (Nancy) just wanted to help!  Doesn't that phrase "just wanted to help"  make you cringe.  You know that it is time to brace yourself for whatever might be coming.


Well, there I was, holding my line of rope that was connected to the corner of the tent.  Thinking to myself, "Boy, the wind sure is blowing!"  And then IT happened!  My strong, never let me down,  piece of rope BROKE!!  I know it only took seconds, but in what seemed like hours, I lost my balance and began my descent to the hard ground below.  As I fell, I thought I heard a loud "POP" coming from the general direction of my knee.  Now you need to know that this is the knee I had surgery on 26 years ago.  It has been a very good knee, I must say,  but today it said "ENOUGH!!"  As I am trying to fall gracefully, all the while screaming in agony for Monty, my mind is wondering what I am going to do if I can't walk.It sure does help to be able to walk when you are beginning to scratch out some type of existence from a blank piece of land.  Everyone came to my rescue, even the dogs.  I did have the presence of mind to tell all that were with me, "Please, let me scream for just a little while and then I will tell you what is wrong!!"   They were patient with me and after I had a bit of control I began to tell them where I hurt.  


Dad decided moms knee was to bad so he's going to have to
AMPUTATE!!!!!!!
Just Joking!!!! 
  I  am now being treated like royalty.  The sofa has become my "throne."  Sarah is fully in charge of everything.  She is doing a super job and if the  "queen"  would be quiet I'm sure her job would be easier.  The knee is somewhat painful, but we have decided to see how it does over the next few days. 
Will keep you posted on this part of our lives.

Now--this morning all was going well until... Are you scared for me to go on?  I am and I know what happened!  Sarah, being the loving daughter that she is, was trying to help me in the bedroom and not wanting to accidentally hit my knee, decided it would be better to stand up on the bed and step over my leg to get off the bed.  She was on my bed keeping me company, if you must know!!  Well, as she moved over me she grabbed onto the shower door handle for balance.  Now remember, we live in a camper.  It is not hard to be on the bed and also be in the bathroom!!  When she leaned on the handle, the glass door on the shower BROKE into thousands of pieces and she found herself "showered" (just a little pun on words) with glass.  Thankfully she was not hurt.  Just a little scared and mad.  Sarah doesn't get mad often and it is quite a sight to behold.
Our new shower door.
Doesn't hold much water but sure is pretty.

Now picture this in your mind.  Sarah standing in the middle of a puddle of glass and her mother (with her leg in a brace) trying to help.  It wasn't so funny when it happened, but I can truthfully tell you that I am having a pretty good chuckle right now!!  We had to look like Lucille Ball and her best friend Ethel!
Sarah says to please not compare us to Lucy and Ethel, but it is the truth so it has to be said!  Now she tells me that Ethel is smarter than Lucy, so I guess that tells you who she thinks she is in the dynamic duo!!

We now have the camper back into some semblance of order.  The boys are working outside, trying to get things ready for some friends who are supposed to be here this afternoon.  We have warned them about all that has happened and they are still brave enough to "keep on coming!"  Bless them!!

The guys bought a portable water tank last night and now we have water in the camper!  WOO HOO!!!
I will say that Barrett came in after the shower incident and just began to laugh.  We asked him what was so funny and he said, " Well, now we have water but no shower. "  For some reason this tickled him, but Sarah and I were not laughing!  Oh well, I guess you gotta laugh.  No crying around here.  WE'RE TOUGH!!  Now THAT is something to laugh about!

5 comments:

  1. Green Acres? mixed with Lucy and Ethel? I think you have a tv hit on your hands!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a bad idea!! It would be great to make money off of all the crazy things we get ourselves into!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading these posts really makes me miss you guys:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Kendra!!! We miss you so much! When you get back you need to come see us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure do love hearing about all your exploits! I feel like we've just been talking with you in person after I get done reading the blog each time. Sure do hope you feel better soon. Knowing Pepper and Bonnie, I could just picture what they would do when you got hurt, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete